- oratio - prayer for the illumination of Scripture by the Holy Spirit
- meditatio - practice of careful meditation on Scripture
- temptatio - denoting every force of distraction from the above
Packer's is a different reading from the one to which I had grown accustomed. My version had been as follows:
- oratio - preaching/teaching
- meditatio - careful meditation on Scripture, primarily, & philosophy & culture secondarily
- temptatio - temptations. sin
Mine had not been so scripturally attuned. So who has misquoted Luther? Is it Packer, with his scripture-centric reading, or Luther scholars & the theological community with their more existential whole-life approach?
hermeneutics; Martin Luther; Puritans; natural theology; fides quaerens intellectum.